Log Story points

Leonardo Ronzani December 4, 2017

Hello team.

I am starting a sprint on JIRA and i have all the related issues estimated in STORY POINTS.

My reports are configured to read STORY POINTS (burning down / velocity / etc).

The team is logging the effort in "HOURS unit". How can we log STORY hours spent on each issue instead of HOURS?

I  am confused because the JIRA should accept STORY points as effort since i had configured this as my default effort for reports.

Regards,

Leoprm

2 answers

2 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2017

Hello,

Your team logs hours because it uses the Log work button. If you want your team to log story points then disable time tracking and add story points field to all issue types.If you follow the guide below you will disable time tracking for the whole instance. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver072/configuring-time-tracking-828788203.html

You can disable time tracking for certain transitions if you follow the guide below

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-restrict-log-work-on-a-specific-status-834225982.html

Leonardo Ronzani December 6, 2017

Nice suggestion!

I will keep on let the team logging the working hours and use user story points to track the team work.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards, Leonardo.

J B February 17, 2022

I'm trying to do this in the latest version of Jira but there doesn't seem to be a way of introducing a field to log work as story points.  Has this feature been removed?

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2017

Selecting "Story Points" as the estimate measure on boards doesn't hide the hours fields (Original and Remaining Estimates). Either you need to hide them from the related screens or educate your users to use "Story Points" in addition to hours.

JIRA has the flexibility of using one or the other or both of them at the same time, although the boards can use only one of them as a statistic for reporting and such.

Leonardo Ronzani December 6, 2017

Thank you very much for the suggestion, now it is working fine. The only problem is that the issue subtasks effort (story points) are not being considered on the burning down chart.

Note: subtasks of a JIRA are automatically added to the sprint of the main related issue.

Do you know some solution about this?

Many thanks in advance.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 6, 2017

It is recommended not to put story points on subtasks. Subtasks are enablers of the story. You estimate on the stories and then work on the subtasks to realize that story.

You can, however, log work on subtasks.

Suggest an answer