Log JIRA exceptions to Sentry

NOC Admin August 10, 2017

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to redirect raised exceptions to a centralised sentry facility, instead of local log file, using the appropriate log appender provided by https://github.com/getsentry/sentry-java

Regards,

y.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
NOC Admin August 12, 2017

Some more light to this; according to the sentry-java documentation the DSN should be passed as an argument either as environmental or java variable. Whenever I tried to pass it with either ways, I got some JIRA plugins not initialised and eventually JIRA was locked.

I then hot-patched the DSN into the java code and recompiled it, omitting the need to pass DSN as an argument during runtime. While building the packages, I realised that the jackson-core class was also required, however, no exception with regard to this was ever raised while JIRA was starting.

Eventually, I copied all jackson-core, sentry-java, sentry-log4j into the library directory and passed the DSN as a java argument and everything works.

0 votes
NOC Admin August 10, 2017

Indeed, I compiled the appropriate classes and installed them in the tomcat's library directory but seems that I missing something on how to set correctly the DSN in the log4j.properties.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 10, 2017

Hmm.  Last time I did that, I was able to just set the remote server in the log4j properties file and it worked fine.    But that was a while ago (years)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 10, 2017

JIRA uses log4j for its logging, which can be set up to log to remote systems instead of a local file.  I can't tell you if that would work for sentry-java though, I've not used it.

Suggest an answer