Locked out of JIRA

Kevin Decker August 29, 2017

Hi All, 

Looking for some help here, we were in the process of configuring our Active Directory setup and I moved Active Directory up above the internal user directory. Once I clicked to another screen I was locked out of the system and have been ever since. 

2 answers

1 vote
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 29, 2017

Hi Kevin,

There is a knowlege base article titled Administrator Cannot Login After Reordering User Directories

Cause:

There is a duplicating user with the same username in the directory in higher position. Currently, JIRA does not support 'shadowed' users. This is a known limitation tracked in JRA-23861 - An admin can lock themselves out of JIRA by changing the order of the User Directories.

The resolution is as follows:

1. Ask for assistance another administrator and ask them to revert the ordering modification.
  2. Temporally disable the directory in the higher position with help of SQL.
    • (info) Ensure that you have valid backup of your data that could be used for the restore, if something goes wrong.
  3. List all currently defined directories:

• select id, directory_name, active from cwd_directory;
      ID    DIRECTORY_NAME          ACTIVE 
      ----- ----------------------- ------     
      10102 AD win2k8               1 
      1     JIRA Internal Directory 1     
      10106 Active Directory server 1
      3 row(s) in 0 ms
  4. Disable the conflicting directory. In our example we will disable directory with ID 10102:

• update cwd_directory set active=0 where id=10102
  5. Restart Tomcat in order to apply the change.

Hopefully that helps.

Cheers,

Branden

Kevin Decker August 30, 2017

Branden, 

The problem is both administrators in the Jira directory are both also users in the Group in AD but cannot login to Jira at all. We are currently using the h2 database and my next step was going to be to migrate the database off to an SQL. I was able to connect to the h2 database but the commands would not work because it was telling me that it was 'read only'. 

Any thoughts?

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 30, 2017

Hi Kevin,

Branden is not available now but I would like to help. Are you using the instructions Accessing JIRA's H2 embedded database?

If the database is teling you it is read only, is JIRA possibly still up? If so, please shut down JIRA, run the SQL recommended by Branden, and start JIRA again.

If you continue to be unable to write to the H2 database, please consider installing a new instance of JIRA, with the SQL database you are moving to, then importing the XML backup from the <jira_home>/export directory of your existing instance. This back-up runs automatically unless it has been disabled on your instance.

I look forward to hearing how it goes.

Thanks,

Ann

Kevin Decker August 31, 2017

Ann I did a re-install of Jira but need some assistance with the restore. I have the old Atlassian directory (and all folders) along with a backup file but when I put that into the File Name area in the Restore JIRA data from Backup section I get an error. 

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2017

Here is information on how to reset the JIRA admin password or add an internal JIRA admin user if there are none, https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/retrieving-the-jira-administrator-192836.html

Suggest an answer