Local directory user takes a long time to authenticate

Brian Bircham November 13, 2013

Hello all

I've recently upgraded our instance of JIRA to 6.1.2 and have problems with a service account that is used to display issues from JIRA on Confluence pages. Whenever I run the search, it takes a long time to complete. A censored sample URL is below

https://jira.ocom.lan/sr/jira.issueviews:searchrequest-xml/temp/SearchRequest.xml?jqlQuery=<query>&os_username=xxxx&os_password=xxxx

Our JIRA is configured with general users authenticating against Active Directory. The service account is in the local JIRA directory. When the username and password of an Active Directory account is used in the URL above, it returns the result in under 1s. When using the local directory credentials, it returns in 7s. This is causing us issues as the external connections timeout on Confluence is set to 2s and we don't want to make this any higher in case it has an impact. Note that this was not an issue since the upgrade

As mentioned, this only happens on the local directory account. I have tried adjusting the priority of the user directories, making the JIRA local directory first, but the problem is still the same. Logging in to JIRA has the same issue - the local account takes around 6-10 seconds and the Active Directory taking under 2s

Does any one have any ideas on where this delay is being caused when using the local account?

Thanks in Advance

Brian

2 answers

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2013

Can you turn ON profiling and see if that gives any hints on where the time is taken?

Also, are you accounting the time take to load dashboard or just the login part?

Brian Bircham November 18, 2013

Below are the times shown for the local and Active Directory (ad) account when running a search from a URL string to return an XML document

(times_local.txt)

(times_ad.txt)

Are you able to see why the local request is taking so much longer?

0 votes
Erik Saline [BlackPearl PDM]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2013

Can you search the JIRA logs for that user account, maybe there are error messages that might show the problem?

Brian Bircham November 14, 2013

I had checked the logs but there's nothing being logged against that user when it's logged in. Do you know which logging module should be increased to show this information?

Suggest an answer