Local JIRA will not start

Jason Kerney May 1, 2013

This question is aimed at Administrators, however I am developer who sometimes poses as a JIRA administrator.

That being said, IT rebooted our JIRA server. Since then we have not been able to get JIRA to start. We have worked through several errors and finally got stumped with:

---------------------------------------------------------

The following plugins are required by JIRA, but have not been started:

• Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Gadgets Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.gadgets)

---------------------------------------------------------

How do I start this plugin? Thank you in advance.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jason Kerney May 3, 2013

All,

Discovered some missing windows updates on the server. Aplied updates, rebooted and manually brought the SQL instance back up and all was magiclly fixed.

Thank you.

Jason Kerney May 7, 2013

BTW the server that had to have updates applied was the SQL server not the JIRA server.

1 vote
richie_gee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 1, 2013

Hi there,

Can you help try to remove all the files inside the folders below?

<JIRA Home Directory>/plugins/.bundled-plugins

<JIRA Home Directory>/plugins/.osgi-plugins

And restart JIRA, no worries, it will be rebuilt upon restart, it seems to me like the gadget plugin is corrupted, hope this helps :) cheers

0 votes
AlaA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2013

Hi Jason,

I think this error you are facing may be relate to this KB (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/JIRA+System+Plugin+Timeout+While+Waiting+for+Plugins+to+Enable?utm_source=SAC&utm_medium=hercules-issue-view&utm_content=437849).

Please try the resolution suggested in the KB and see if that helps. :)

Jason Kerney May 2, 2013

It looks like this may be the problem, as our disk drive is testing at being way to slow. Not sure how it worked before hand though. I am investigating to verify.

AlaA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2013

Hey Jason,

I think that maybe related to not enough memory, maybe you are running another application along with JIRA in the same server. As JIRA requires a lot of resrouces to startup. Maybe you would like to check whether there is any new application running at the same machine as JIRA that caused the problem.

Looking forward to hearing your updates. :)

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 1, 2013
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2013

It should start as the service starts. I think this failure is indicative of a more serious problem earlier in the startup.

What else does your log say?

Jason Kerney May 1, 2013

How do I find the log?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2013

Depends on how you configured Jira in the first place, but start with <whereever you told it "jira home" is>/logs

Jason Kerney May 2, 2013

My log is filled with these:

2013-04-29 15:18:08,399 main WARN [core.entity.jdbc.DatabaseUtil] Entity "Action" has no table in the database

2013-04-29 15:18:08,436 main ERROR [core.entity.jdbc.DatabaseUtil] Could not create table "JIRA.jiraaction"

2013-04-29 15:18:08,436 main ERROR [core.entity.jdbc.DatabaseUtil] SQL Exception while executing the following:

CREATE TABLE JIRA.jiraaction (ID NUMERIC NOT NULL, issueid NUMERIC, AUTHOR NVARCHAR(255), actiontype NVARCHAR(255), actionlevel NVARCHAR(255), rolelevel NUMERIC, actionbody NTEXT, CREATED DATETIME, UPDATEAUTHOR NVARCHAR(255), UPDATED DATETIME, actionnum NUMERIC, CONSTRAINT PK_jiraaction PRIMARY KEY (ID))

and then:
2013-04-29 15:18:21,957 main WARN [atlassian.jira.security.GlobalPermissionsCache] Could not add permission Permission: [type=0][scheme=null][group=administrators][permType=group] - it already existed?
and then:
2013-04-29 15:20:51,214 Timer-0 WARN [internal.dependencies.startup.DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor] Timeout occurred before finding service dependencies for [NonValidatingOsgiBundleXmlApplicationContext(bundle=com.atlassian.jira.gadgets-plugin, config=osgibundle:/META-INF/spring/*.xml)]
2013-04-29 15:20:51,239 Timer-0 ERROR [internal.dependencies.startup.DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor] 2013-04-29 15:20:51,239 Timer-0 ERROR [internal.dependencies.startup.DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor] Unable to create application context for [com.atlassian.jira.gadgets-plugin], unsatisfied dependencies: Dependency on [(objectClass=com.atlassian.gadgets.dashboard.DashboardService)] (from bean [&dashboardService])
org.springframework.context.ApplicationContextException: Application context initialization for 'com.atlassian.jira.gadgets-plugin' has timed out
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 2, 2013

Your database is broken! Possibly the connection settings, but Jira is missing tables there. Or, at least it can't read them, so it's trying to create what it needs (and then failing because the access is wrong)

You need to take a step back and get the database connection working before you'll get any further with this!

Jason Kerney May 2, 2013

Ok the connection string is correct, the database is up and the username and password are correct.

I think I am going to raise a support issue at this point, because this was all working for over a year, and then just stopped.

Suggest an answer