Loading JIRA data into PowerBI desktop

Pankaj Purohit September 26, 2017

Hi,

I am trying to load JIRA data into Power BI desktop but its trowing an error, as I have on-premise link not a cloud link that is why I can not connect JIRA data through PowerBI content pack.

So if any one come across the same issue of loading JIRA data into power bi desktop then please share your thoughts.

3 answers

1 vote
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 27, 2017

Hi Pankaj,

This blog post mentions JIRA Server and Cloud, so it seems that it should work. Could you let us know what error it is that you're getting? Do you have a screenshot of the message?

Thank you!

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Pankaj Purohit September 29, 2017

Hi Shannon,

I am trying below link

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=e7e2c1cd5556023f&id=E7E2C1CD5556023F%21116639&authkey=!AH4_6OHXy6siE74

for my URL to have JIRA data into power bi desktop but after populating URL once I click on Load button then its showing me error...

Scrren Capture.PNG

Error.PNG

and moreover its not loading any data into it only showing blank template.

So is there any other way to extract data out of JIRA for Power BI charts/reports?

Pankaj Purohit October 2, 2017

Hi Shannon,

If the above details is confusing then you can go through the below error message which I am getting while connecting JIRA data with power bi

I'm using an on premise version of Jira. After following the instructions given here I'm getting the following error after refresh:

"OLE DB or ODBC error:[Datasource.Error] Web contents failed to get contents from 'http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xxxx//rest/api/2/search?

maxResults=500&startAT=0' (404):not found."

The fields are there but none of the data. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 3, 2017

Pankaj,

Thank you for that. I'm not familiar with PowerBI but the error seems to be coming from PowerBI and not Jira. I found many posts in the Power BI community page with this error, specifically this one mentions Jira as well:

Error: We found extra characters at the end of JSON...

Have you been in contact with Power BI about this? Perhaps they have a solution or a suggestion for you?

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Pankaj Purohit October 9, 2017

Shannon,

You are correct!! the issue was from Power BI side not from JIRA so I successfully managed it.

Thanks for your time and support.

Regards,

Pankaj

Tom Quinn June 4, 2018

Pankaj, 

What was the solution? 

Pooja Kumar June 11, 2018

Hi Pankaj,

Can you share how you fixed this issue on Power BI? i am new to using Power BI for JIRA reporting and I am getting the same error message as the one you faced.

Please share the solution.

Thanks

Pooja

0 votes
Nick Thompson August 30, 2020

If someone is still looking for a better way to connect Jira and Power BI, you can try AIO Power BI Connector for Jira

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1219072/aio-power-bi-connector-for-jira

It works really well for us and we have been able to build a lot of cool dashboards.

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2017

Can PowerBI import Excel files?

If so, then you could export JIRA data to export with the Better Excel Plugin.

Pankaj Purohit September 29, 2017

Thanks for the suggestion Aron.

Using "Better Excel Plugins" I can do that but what about data refresh?

I have to do it manually every time whenever new data comes or else I have to be dependent on more plugins for these functionality to work.

Rafael Rodrigues June 21, 2019

Hello Pankaj Purohit, we have the same need, was it possible to integrate Jira with Power BI with information search in real time or with an update routine?

Suggest an answer