List members in each project

CST JIRA Confluence Admin September 15, 2016

Hi,

I want to export a list of members in corresponding projects to export. I've tried to use script runner console but no luck. Can anyone advise? 

1 answer

1 vote
Bart Meerveld
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2016

How do you mean "members of a project"? Users that contribute to a project? Cause in JIRA users aren't a member of a project, they are defined by roles and usergroups.

CST JIRA Confluence Admin September 16, 2016

It is better to get a list of project roles actor for each project like this:

Project             Project Role                            UserName

ABC                 Administrator                          peter

ABC                 Developer                              lokesh

Bart Meerveld
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2016

That depends on your goal, what do you want to achieve with the list?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2016

What Bart is getting at is that the list of people in roles or groups tells you virtually nothing on its own, and can only answer "who is a member of this project" in one very simple use case.

For example:

• In project 1, I can create, edit and comment on issues
  • In project 2, I can comment on issues
  • In project 3, I can see issues, but not do anything with them

I'm pretty sure I am a member of project 1.  I am pretty sure I am not a member of project 3.  2 is entirely debatable.  It's up to your rules on how you decide if someone is a "member".

Thing is, I'm the role of "user" in all three projects.  If you read my roles alone, you simply can't answer the question "is Nic a member of project 1, 2 or 3?".

CST JIRA Confluence Admin September 18, 2016

Would it be possible to get list of all projects, with each project, its enabled roles, granted users & groups in each of these roles. This will enable us to understand who all have access to which projects.

Maybe matrix of X axis has all of our (1160) users & Y axis has all (120+) projects. Each cell has value like Yes or No, if granted access to a project via role or group

Groovy or any other script that can be fetch these data ?

Appreciate your responses. Thanks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2016

Could you re-read what Bart and I have written please?

>Would it be possible to get list of all projects, with each project, its enabled roles, granted users & groups in each of these roles. This will enable us to understand who all have access to which projects.

You can dig out that list, yes, but it won't "enable us to understand who all have access to which projects".  There's no such thing as "enabled roles" - all roles exist in all projects (although you are free to leave them empty)

Just as a simplified example, my current work involves a pile of projects.  In some of them, we've got users and groups in the role of MXT-developers.  The permissions and workflows in the project do absolutely nothing with that role.  A user in that group has zero access to the project, but would show up on your report as having access, even though they do not.

Could you please re-read what Bart and I have said before?

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 19, 2016

You could probably use the z-axis to represent all the individual permissions in the permission scheme, or do the matrix for one permission like "can view". 

Need to establish the requirements before you write any code though.

Suggest an answer