List links to a task in the task

Sal Quintanilla January 2, 2020

We use related links extensively in our tasks.  Is there a read-only field available that let us list the tasks that link to the currently viewed task?  In other words, task A lists task B as a related task.  Going to task B shows task A as a task that links to it.

1 answer

0 votes
Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2020

Hi @Sal Quintanilla what you're asking sounds like the built-in "Link" feature.  When you link one issue to another a reciprocal link is automatically created.  (Issue A shows a link to issue B and issue B shows a link to issue A.)  The list of linked issues are shown on an issue's "View" screen, as a column in filter results/dashboards, and you can also query this link relationship.  Since this is a standard Jira feature, no custom fields are required.

Can you tell us what else you're trying to accomplish that the built-in function doesn't provide?  How would you use a read only field differently?

Here's a quick screenshot of the built-in "Link" feature.  It's in the "More" menu of any Jira issue.

linking.png

Thanks in advance for any additional info,

Rachel Wright

Sal Quintanilla January 10, 2020

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for the quick reply... of course I was too busy to read it in detail, but I did appreciate seeing it come in.

Let me expand my simple example:

• Task A has related tasks B, C, and D.
  • B has related link E

Under Task A, I can see "Issue Links" "relates to" is on top of a list that shows B, C, and D.

Under Task B, I see the same list holding A and E (actually E then A in an example I did in our sandbox). 

We have some tasks that are linked to 4 or 5 other tasks.  The issue I'm having is that I don't see a way to distinguish these links from the reciprocal link(s) in the View.  Is there some indicator that I'm missing?

Sal

Suggest an answer