Links in JIRA and JIRA Service Desk to Confluence work intermittently

Jacki Keys August 15, 2014

I've gone through all the available articles that deal with this issue so far, and none of them quite describe our situation. We are running the latest version of JIRA, JIRA Service Desk and Confluence on the same AWS (medium) instance. We are a nonprofit and have a community license for Atlassian products.

Problem

• Links in JIRA issues to Confluence pages go back and forth between displaying the link title and "You do not have permission to view this page."
  • It doesn't matter if the link was created by a different user, or the user editing/viewing it.
  • This happens when the user is active on both JIRA and Confluence as well as only logged into JIRA
  • I enabled the Remote API setting, which removed the error message directing me to do that. This problem has occurred since then
  • We have checked the link between JIRA and Confluence where we set the trusted communication between the two.
  • When in the JIRA Service Desk Customer Portal and searching the connected Confluence Knowledge Base, it sometimes returns pages with the predictive search and sometimes does not. Within seconds of working, it will not work with the same words
  • When in JIRA issues and linking to Confluence pages, sometimes the "search for page" option won't show anything in the drop down list to display the Spaces
    • Even after adding a link there, it will often flash to "You don't have permission to view this page" immediately after creating the link

We have been troubleshooting this for days to no avail. We are using an nginx proxy.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jacki Keys August 19, 2014

From our dev:

"I ran the application link diagnostics tool and noticed the authentication test failed. so i inspected the log from the diagnostics and noticed it was failing on 'trusted applications' auth method. That prompted me to disable trusted applications auth and try basic auth instead."

And that appeared to resolve the issue. All our links have been working all the time since then.

0 votes
Jacki Keys August 26, 2014

I did "Answer your own question" with the comment above. I don't know what else to do to close this out.

0 votes
Adam Schweigert August 19, 2014

From our dev:

"I ran the application link diagnostics tool and noticed the authentication test failed. so i inspected the log from the diagnostics and noticed it was failing on 'trusted applications' auth method. That prompted me to disable trusted applications auth and try basic auth instead."

And that appeared to resolve the issue. All our links have been working all the time since then.

0 votes
Jacki Keys August 17, 2014

Further info from our developer about our configuration:

We have Jira and Confluence installed side-by-side on an Amazon medium EC2 instance. Both are using mysql as their database backend, which is installed on the same machine.

In front of the two applications, we are running Nginx, configured as a proxy server, so that both applications can be reached over port 80 via jira.investigativenewsnetwork.organd confluence.investigativenewsnetwork.org.

We’re using Application Links and Trusted Applications for communication between the applications.

Suggest an answer