Links hierarchy - Drawing network diagrams is very slow

John Bayne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2015

We're using the links hierarchy Add-on; does a fine job.

However, if we toggle to the 'Network' view it is very slow to produce the the diagram, if it does it at all.

Anyone else seen this? Is there advice on the best way to use this mode?

John

4 answers

0 votes
John Bayne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2015

.. I hope you can see these images OK?

BTW, thanks for the prompt response.

If you need me to debug on the system I'll be glad to help out ...

John

0 votes
John Bayne
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 14, 2015

... if I switch to hierarchy view on this, it fails and then on switch back to network, after a delay I see just this:brokenHierarchy.png

0 votes
John Bayne
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 14, 2015

Hi there,

we have 4.0.4 active.

Yesterday when I reviewed the feature, I was not able to generate network diagrams at all. After some delay I'd then see just the box for the displayed issue. This morning when I came into the office it was working fine, displaying and toggling between the hierarchy and network display; zooming, etc. All great.

If I view an issue with a larger network then it appear to break down.

E.g.

BugNetwork.png

0 votes
Pablo Beltran
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 13, 2015

In general, the network graph performance is very good....However, it is a FULL visualization of ALL the linked issues. Therefore if users link lots of issues in a messy way, it could take a while go over all the paths despite there are some optimizations to do it reasonably faster.

What version are you using? Since the 4.0.1 version, support for Epic links visualization was dropped from Network graphs because they bring few business value and it could produce huge graphs which take a long time to be displayed.

There are also some performance optimizations to avoid the plugin consume excessive resources on the Server (mostly CPU) which could make it take over 30% more time to get the graph data and let the Server breath. This is necessary to avoid performance issues on JIRA. As much faster as your server runs, surely such internal performance improvements will work better as they were tuned according to some test performed by some customers.

Once the graph is displayed: how many issues and links are displayed on the graph?

Suggest an answer