Linking stories from different projects into same Epic

Sebastian Ljungberg May 20, 2013

Hello,

At my company we are working with Component based development team and trying to force this onto JIRA. Each component team got a project and the overall management are handled form a Project Management project that hosts all epics. Currently we have to create user stories through that epic, and then move them to correct component project to keep the link to the Epic. Is it possible somehow to add a system/custom field to stories created in a component project, in which you can connect to Epics from another project (the PM one)? We are using latest JIRA and GreenHopper.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2013

Hey Sebastian,

It all depends on the boards you are using, you can use epics across project.

Look here for more info : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Working+with+Epics

Best regards

Peter

0 votes
Chris McFadden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2013

You can update your filter so that the epics come from multiple projects. For example "(issueType=Epic and project in (AA,BB,CC)". Maybe it would be best to put your epics in a separate backlog project.

Simon N February 21, 2020

This is really helpful. Epics appear on your board in the same way that any other issue does, so you you can use the board filter to include epics from other projects.

My only hurdle now is that I'm trying to assign a issue from a non-next-gen project to a next-gen project epic. The epics from the next-gen project appear on my  non-next-gen project backlog view, but when I drag a issue to an epic, it says that the epic must be of the type 'epic'. I'm guessing non-next-gen projects have a different epic type with the same name :(

Suggest an answer