Linking new features to user stories

jeff.storey August 29, 2012

We currently use Greenhopper for JIRA, and I would like to attach new features to a particular user story. So the workflow would be something like:

Open a user story - The user would like to do XXX because ...

This story consists of new features. I open the features and would like to make them children of the story.

I can create a custom linking relationship, "belongs to", but it seems like this would be a standard behavior. Is there a way to do this in greenhopper/JIRA?

I know that for Epics I can link a story to an Epic, but I don't know how to (other than I described with a custom linking) link a feature to a story.

I want to avoid using subtasks for stories because sometimes the features have subtasks, so I want to be able to add subtasks for specific features.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kinto Soft
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2012

I know that for Epics I can link a story to an Epic, but I don't know how to (other than I described with a custom linking) link a feature to a story.

Why are you worried about using standard links if they provide the required functionality? Greenhopper is ready to deal with standard links, in fact that is the way that the Rapird Board expects users link stories to other issues (see the attached picture). If you don't use standard links, then you will "break" such feature.

jeff.storey December 17, 2012

It's not that I have a problem with standard links, but I don't like using "relates to" for linking an epic to a story. I'd like to show more of a hierarchy that a story is part of an epic.

Kinto Soft
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2012

The Links Hierarchy Structure plug-in (developed by me) builds such Epic hierarchy (see the attached picture).

Regarding the "relates to" link type, you can use your own customized links like "belongs to". That will work with JIRA/GreenHoper/Rapid Board as well as with the Hierachy plug-in.

Hope it helps.

Pablo

Thanks, I wasn't familiar with the links hierarhcy plugin.

0 votes
boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 27, 2012

I would suggest that a new feature is broken down into epics rather than a story consisting of features. Stories need to have sub-tasks, these can' be avoided in best practice.

Like you say epics have multiple stories within them. Epics in GreenHopper 6 are still a lab feature and need to be enabled.

There is also a linking solution outlined here.

jeff.storey November 28, 2012

I don't think epics are necessary for every story though. But I'll check out the new features in greenhopper 6.

boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 28, 2012

No epics not necessary for every story but every story should have (sub) tasks, that's best practice anyhow...

boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2012

Epics have been made available in GreenHopper 6.1 - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/GreenHopper+6.1+Release+Notes

Thanks, appreciate the update.

Suggest an answer