Linking User Stories to EPIC

Snehal Shah April 16, 2013

Hello,
I am trying to find a easy way to link user stories to EPIC. The way we have it set up is that we create EPIC then create user stories and then link user stories to EPIC. This is very inefficient because we have to remember to do this step and also have to remember the EPIC ID and user story ID. If there is a easy way similar to how we create Sub Task and the way JIRA automatically links them to the parent, I would like to know. Please let me know if I am missing any step.

Thanks,
Snehal

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2013

As Peter suggests, in Greenhopper, open the Rapid board with the issues. Click on the "Epic" button on the left nav to expose the Epics. In the sprint(s) and backlog on the Rapid board, simply drag the issues to the Epic to create the association. You can multi-select/-drag, of course, too.

Atlassian now allows associations to be created against Versions, too.

0 votes
Rhys Diab _Agile Docs_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 11, 2019

Hi Snehal,

A bit late to the party here but one way you can do this is using the plugin Agile Docs.

This plugin allows you to create your epics, stories and tasks in a nested google doc and automatically creates relationships between them.

In order to create a Story which automatically has a relationship with a parent Epic, you create a dotpoint under the Epic you want to link to like below:

a-story.pngIn the above example, the Story 'A story' belongs to the Epic 'This is an epic'.

If I open up the story, you can see the relationship with the Epic:

linked-story-and-epic.png

You can check out a demo here.

Cheers,

Rhys.

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2013
If you buy the greenhopper plugin, it has build in epic functionality. You could also use components as epics, or even labels.
Snehal Shah April 16, 2013

Thanks Peter. I have Greenhopper plugin but still it doesnt automatically link the user stories to an EPIC. As for using components, we are using it to define the application components.

Suggest an answer