Linking Service Desk/Software projects with limited licenses

salpadoru October 18, 2016

Hi All,

I have a situation where we have more licenses for JIRA Software than for Service Desk. 

1. What would happen is the Service Desk agent who isn't a licensee, attempts to link a Service desk Issue to a Software project issue?
  2. If a Service Desk agent was to create an issue in a Software project, can the assigned developer in the Software issue, update the status of the Service Desk ticket if he is not a licensed Service Desk user?

Is it recommended to have as many Service Desk licenses as there are JIRA Software licenses if issues link to each other?

Appreciate any help?

Regards,

Eshan

3 answers

0 votes
salpadoru October 20, 2016

That would work other than I am not able to figure out how to add someone to collaborate. When I click on Collaborators, a Plan Time window pops up. 

0 votes

Thanks!

How do I add a collaborator?

Any idea why I am getting Plan Time popup when I click on Collaborators? I am using Tempo Planner.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2016

Eshan,

I'm not 100% sure to be honest. But I can tell you what i did to address my immediate needs. I created a group called JSD-Observers and added the JSW licensed users that I needed to be able to collaborate. I then added this group to my Permission categories as needed, e.g. Browse, Comment, etc. Having said that I would suggest you first test if one of your JSW users can access, comment, etc a JSD ticket currently and if not you can build the group/permissions as indicated. BTW, the original driver for me taking this path was to allow my JSW users to be able to see the JSD dashboard that I created.

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your help.

It sounds like you have enough JSD licenses for all the developers? Would this still work if the developers don't have a JSD license?

Eshan

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 21, 2016

Eshan,

no. I only have a few JSD agent licenses for a few IT resources. I have many (~60) JSW licensed users and some of these users are developers or individuals that need to collaborate on JSD. Just create a group for the collaborators, add the JSW folks to the group and add the group to the permissions you need/want, e.g. Browse and Comment.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 19, 2016

Only agents can actively 'work' JSD issues. Your JSW licensed user can collaborate (comment, view) on the JSD issues. They cannot edit them, e.g. assign, transition, etc. In my use case I provide my JSD agents w/ JSW access so that they can create/link issues.

Suggest an answer