Linking Jenkins to Jira

Kenny Tran September 25, 2014

Hi, I'm thinking of using the Jenkins plugin to improve the workflow in Jira. I think it will be beneficial because we use Jenkin for our build server. I have a few questions in regards to the plugin. Thanks 

1) We log issues (bugs, features, etc..) in Jira, can I link these issues to Jenkins build data in Jira? How?

2) With the plugin, is it possible to download a new Jenkins build directly in Jira?

3) Is it possible for change logs for builds in Jenkins to show up in JIRA as well? 

1 answer

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2014

Answers:

1. When you commit your code into your source control system, include the JIRA issue in the commit message.  When the code is built, the build is associated with the appropriate JIRA issue(s.)
  2. No way that I am aware of.  Item #1 is the extent of the integration.  You can see which build an issue is associated with, and that's about it.
  3. Kind of, but not really.  What you actually get is information from Jenkins showing up on the JIRA issue, and when you click on it, you actually click through to Jenkins.  

The integration is pretty basic.  It's really just designed to show you which build is associated with an issue and let you click through to Jenkins to see more details. Integration setup is really pretty easy, so I say go for it. 

Suggest an answer