Linking Google Docs Documents to JIRA Issue in JIRA OnDemand

Kris van der Starren February 23, 2013

I'm using JIRA OnDemand. Is there a way to attach/link a Google Docs document directly to an issue? I found this plugin but it doesn't seem to be available for OnDemand.

Google Drive (and Docs) in JIRA

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.appfusions.jira.google.jira-google-docs

20 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
OmarA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2013

Hi wwwKris,

Indeed OnDemand used to have direct integration with Google Docs where you can attach your files from your Google Apps account in case if you integrate OnDemand with Google Apps. However, due to the business decision and strategy, we have decided to wave away this integration method and replace it with issue links.

So currently in order to link your Google Docs, you will need to use the issue links by putting the URL for your Google document. For more information, you can check here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Linking+Issues#LinkingIssues-CreatingalinktoanywebpageURL

Hope it helps!

Cheers,

Omar

Kris van der Starren February 25, 2013

Hi Omar. Can you shed some additional light on why this decision was made? For people that use OnDemand and Google Docs a lot, this seems like a bit of a step backwards. I'm sure there a logical reason so I'd just like to understand why.

Like Shlok Ishan likes this
Brandon Ramirez March 15, 2013

Wondering the same thing. Makes the only real benefit to Google Apps integration the single sign on...

13 votes
Marco De Gregorio March 6, 2014

Wondering if after one year this is still the case?

The integration with Google Apps to onDemand is pretty pointless for us without this function.

If this decision was taken because you consider Google Drive some kind of indirect competitor.. it is just a bad decision I hope you will reconsider:

We use Google drive A LOT and I can assure you that a decision like this will not make us use your products more as there is no way we will switch from google drive ever. The opposite is true that it makes us use your products less (and annoy us).

I hope that you have a solution to this issue or a useful workaround.

Mike [Idea Bubble] December 8, 2014

+1 to this. We are in the same boat.

Manuel Padilha February 6, 2015

+1 as well. Why take it away?

Stephan Spenling July 20, 2015

+1

Tim Ryan November 2, 2015

+1

Erik Lauridsen January 11, 2016

+1

Gal Cohen March 2, 2017

+1

adamy December 18, 2019

+1

Jeff_Taylor March 2, 2020

+1

robinsingh June 18, 2020

+1

Robert March 22, 2021

+1

10 votes
Mike Nolet April 20, 2014

I must add that I think this is a bad strategy and bad decision. It's the first time I've seen Atlassian make a move very counter to the open and integrated culture it's started with. Are we at that pivotal point where the MBAs have taken control and priorities have turned to squeezing out the maximum value out of your current assets by "locking down" the platform rather than doing what's best for your customers?

The implication for us seems to be that we should be wary with what data we put in your system, as who knows what "lock-up strategy decision" you will make next?

Google Docs is a tremendous technology suite that has it's rightful place in the development cycle and JIRA's value as a standalone product is significantly reduced because of this decision.

I strongly suggest you reverse this decision and reintegrate it!

9 votes
David Gildea September 30, 2014

Very disappointed customer here, That was the reason I signed up. I have a startup and this integration was vitally important.

Poor decision and even worse is its very poor, borderline lying to have your site say 

- Google Docs: Easily create documents, edit them together in real-time, and embed them into issues and wiki pages where you can collect feedback from your team.

7 votes
Lara Reedick October 30, 2014

Terrible decision. I can't imagine why any organization would see integration with Google Apps and Docs as optional in today's climate.

5 votes
Darryl Lee April 2, 2014

Ooof, Atlassian needs to update the description of OnDemand in the Google Marketplace then:

- Google Docs: Easily create documents, edit them together in real-time, and embed them into issues and wiki pages where you can collect feedback from your team.

Removing this feature because of "business decision and strategy" sounds like politics.

Hey @Ellen, does the AppFusions integration allow you to *create* Google Docs from within JIRA and have those new docs be automatically linked to the issue?

Elizabeth April 15, 2015

At current, the Google Drive (Docs) in JIRA (server version) does not allow you to "create" Google Docs from within JIRA, but could add that. email info@appfusions.com for more details.

4 votes
Deleted user November 5, 2014

Agreed, a bad decision. We have standardized on Google Apps for the company (including Docs), and look favorably on products (such as Assembla) that integrate tightly with Google Apps.

Bad decision on Atlassian's part. Should be seeking more integration points, not less!

4 votes
Ellen Feaheny [AppFusions]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2013

Happy to discuss a direct managed server option where you can have AppFusions' Google Docs in JIRA integration, and any plugin for that matter. Video demo here.

24x7 Atlassian-skilled support, no headaches (same "luxury" of OnDemand), upgrades includes, backups, migration included, and more. Pretty turn-key..

info@appfusions.comif interested and can get you going..

3 votes
Bede Admins July 10, 2014

Another disappointed customer here. I just wanted to embed a google drawing into my document so if I make edits I don't have to export and re-attach every time. What a pain!

Elizabeth April 15, 2015

Google Drawings are supported by https://www.appfusions.com/display/GDOCSC/Home Supported and sustained since Nov 2010. info@appfusions.com for evals.

2 votes
Brennan Hartich November 18, 2014

Hello,

Is still an issue? I really would like to have Google Drive integrate seamlessly with JIRA On Demand.

2 votes
Fabrice So June 10, 2014

Hi any change on this? We pushed to have Confluence in our work. However, the adoption is hard because many documents are better saved in google docs, especially for tables and spreadsheets. Therefore, the organisation confluence provides is not useful if we cannnot review all the info in one view.

Elizabeth April 15, 2015

This is available on Confluence Server (and JIRA). Supported and sustained since Nov 2010. info@appfusions.com for evals. https://www.appfusions.com/display/GDOCSC/Home

2 votes
James Cook May 19, 2014

I also agree that restricting the functionality of Google Docs integration with Jira feels like a protectionist move to get more people to buy Confluence.

1 vote
Deleted user July 13, 2015

There is a paid-via-Atlassian add-on for JIRA Cloud

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/google-drive

1 vote
David April 15, 2015

The lack of basic doc attachment integration in JIRA with apps like Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, etc is incredibly surprising to me.  This expected feature should be in the core product, not for sale as some sort of add-on. It should also be available in the enterprise/installed version of JIRA.

It's a major disappointment and makes me think there is a better solution out there.

Elizabeth April 15, 2015

Hello Dave - To your comment: "It should also be available in the enterprise/installed version of JIRA." See https://www.appfusions.com/display/GDOCSJ/Home - this integration has been supported, maintained, sustained since 2011 (and also many other flavors that you called out, also by AppFusions). Email info@appfusions.com for more details.

Elizabeth April 15, 2015

Also, in fairness to Atlassian as not having as a core feature, these integrations are "document management applications" and a constant sustaining engineering AND feature enhancement job. AppFusions has been continually improving our document management plugins over the years.

David April 20, 2015

Elizabeth - Thanks for the information on Appfusions. However, I disagree that integration with a document repository or DMS is burdensome. I'm not suggesting a proliferation of support for any old document store, just however many highly-adopted cloud based services Atlassian feels best covers their user base. I'd take a wild guess and say Google Drive, DropBox, and Box.net would hit 80%+ of their users. And I'm only talking about link-only (find a file, select it, attach it to an issue) type integration.

1 vote
Mike Ussher February 1, 2015

This is a pain point for so many users and yet Atlassian haven't said a peep in 2 years. Pathetic, non?

1 vote
Paul Greig
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 24, 2013

Hi wwwKris,

The best way to integrate the features of your google account is to use the Google Apps integration with OnDemand. There is a great guide here to the integration process: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Integrating+OnDemand+with+Google+Apps

One important note is to ensure the admin users has their username set to the same as their google account name, this is covered in the 'Before you Begin' section at the top of the guide.

Cheers,

Paul

0 votes
Oray Oktay June 4, 2020

Its absolutely non sense refusing to fix your Google Drive Integration. When I try to find a file on my drive, some files are showing up and some aren't. I am the owner of all these missing files and they are under "My Drive". 

Its really disapointing to see Atlassian to refuse to fix this bug because of what? Google Drive is your competitor? They are actually not completely 2 different tools Atlassian and Google Drive.

0 votes
Elizabeth April 15, 2015

As an alternative to OnDemand, AppFusions can offer 24x7 secure managed hosting (migration, upgrades, performance tuning, just works) and you can have any plugin or integration (we have over 50 .. let alone any other plugin). info@appfusions.com for more info.

0 votes
Adrian Wieczorek
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 6, 2015

Hello All,

Soon we are going to release an Add-on for Confluence that will allow users to import/export documents from/to Google Drive. We are thinking of supporting JIRA as well, however, it is not clear for us which functionality is most wanted in such case? One can now indeed link the Google Drive document to the issue by simply adding it as external link so what other features would be desired here?

Elizabeth April 15, 2015

This is available on Confluence Server (and JIRA). Supported and sustained since Nov 2010. info@appfusions.com for evals. https://www.appfusions.com/display/GDOCSC/Home

0 votes
Omair Khan November 25, 2014

Can I add User and Project in Trial Version?

Suggest an answer