Linking Fields in Application UI to Ticket in JIRA OnDemand

Henry Shapiro October 16, 2013

Hi there,

I am working on building a customer support system for our application that will kick off a ticket being created in JIRA with fields mapped from that form to the ticket itself. Essentially, I want to do the following:

1) User clicks on "Contact Us" and fills out several fields (e.g., Version Number, Type of Issue, Company Name, etc.)

2) User clicks "Submit" (and form is either sent to an email address or directly to JIRA)

3) Somehow I want those fields to map to a JIRA ticket that will auto-create when the request is submitted.

I've already set up a mail server on my JIRA OnDemand instance that takes our support emails and kicks off a ticket in our Support project automatically, but those tickets don't have any notion of segmentation -- it's just the body text of the email and the subject line as the ticket name. So we can't distinguish bugs from feature requests from service requests, etc.

Is there any way to do this natively in JIRA that anyone knows of?

Thanks very much,

Henry

1 answer

1 vote
John Bishop
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2013

I would have your custom support system use Jira's REST API to set the fields in your issues.

Henry Shapiro October 17, 2013

Great idea John! Thank you. I'll stand by to see if others have ideas as well, but I think you may have solved my issue.

Will the API calls work even though I'm not using a deployed instance (using OnDemand)?

Suggest an answer