Linked issues policy

lilachFeit July 27, 2017

Hi

When i'm trying to add issues (as linked issues that my current is related to) i've notice that i can't get all the issues i have in the project (i'm starting typing the issue key)

Issue key that exists in my jira project cannot be found when i'm searching to linked it...

What is the policy for the serach  if there is any, or do i have a bug in the system?

Thanks.

2 answers

1 vote
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2017

Just to clarify, is this what is happening to you?

1. Create a new issue.
  2. In the "Linked Issues" field, you're typing the issue key of the issue you want to link to.
  3. There is no autocomplete dropdown menu showing you that the issue exists in JIRA.

Even if the autocomplete dropdown doesn't appear, you should still be able to enter the issue key. This autocomplete dropdown is based on recent search history in the Issue Navigator, so if you haven't completed a search with the issue key you're inputting into the Linked Issues field, the autocomplete dropdown won't appear.

Regardless, even if the autocomplete dropdown doesn't appear, you should still be able to enter an issue key for an existing issue, then save the link to create the links successfully.

lilachFeit July 29, 2017

Hi Alex

Thank you for your answer, 

So, you say that the "This autocomplete dropdown is based on recent search history in the Issue Navigator", I did a search that gave me all the projects issues (more than 500) but when i create a new issue and trying to linked it to one of them the autocomplete dropdown still empty. is there another policies to this dropdown? (can it bring only a spesific amount of issues and not all of them or something like that?)

Thanks.

Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2017

Hmm. In my experience, that dropdown usually shows you issues that were found in recent searches, recently viewed issues, etc. I think it only shows around 10 issues at a time, but as you type the issue key, it should update the auto-complete to show that issue key.

What are your permissions for each project? Do you have permission to browse the project(s) for the issues you're trying to link together? It could be that you might have permission to create issues in a project, but can't actually browse the project.

Isaac Van Baren August 11, 2023

@Alex Christensen this answer is correct and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Like lilachFeit likes this
0 votes
Yugank Bhatnagar July 27, 2017

Hi I am able to perform search with issue key. Can you please explain in more details where are you facing the issue.

Thanks

Suggest an answer