Link type restriction through the field Linked Issues

Licensing AVL May 26, 2015

Hey everybody,

do you know a possibility to restrict the link types depending on issue types? 

Use Case: Type "defect" should allow only the link type "dublicate" and type "action" should allow only the link type "blocked".

Do you have any ideas how to solve this problem?

Kind Regards

Elke

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2015

Code.

Links don't have any restriction by type in JIRA, so you'll need to write something to add the functionality.  The most simple implementation would be a validator on workflows to stop progress if inappropriate links exist on an issue, but that won't stop people using the links.

It's actually quite a complex requirement, because it's not as simple as "can only allow duplicate on defects" - you have to do it in reverse (i.e. any other issue type trying to link to a defect would have to check the target issue type and block it), and there are several places that you can link issues, not just one.  So that's quite a lot of code, some of which I suspect you'd have to do in the core of JIRA (because linking is so fundamental, I don't think it's a simple module to hack)

Suggest an answer