Link issues across different projects

Harry Kha August 21, 2013

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this question. I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to link issues from one project to another. An example would be that I create issue A in project A. I then create a separate issue, issue B in project B and want to link issue B to issue A in project A.

Is that possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

6 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2013

yes, if you have permission to see issues in both projects you can do this. Go to issue A-1 and and simply link (More--> Link) it with issue B-2 (type the Issue key or search for that issue)

3 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2013

check this document to get more information on how to create issue linktypes and link issues

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Issue+Linking

Robb Wiedrich May 18, 2017

When the issues are linked, what can then be seen from the linked issue?   Can you only view the status via the dashboard?   

Other questions would be:

Can I modify/add comments on the issues I've linked TO from my Issue in my project?  Or can I only do that if I log into the other server and have access to the project?

Does the linking to another server use a user licenses?  I am using a licenses on my server, so in my project and issue I create a link to another server/project/issue (I have issue linking configured and turned on).  Does that use a licenses on the other server? 

Like Dmytro Danylov likes this
1 vote
Harry Kha August 22, 2013

Thanks for the help all.

0 votes
Harry Kha July 23, 2015

Sorry for the typo, it should have read like this:

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this question. I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to link issues from one project to another. An example would be that I create issue A in project A. I then create a separate issue, issue B in project B and want to link issue B to issue A in project A.

Kind Regards

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 22, 2013

That is a good point Nic. I forgot about that. Beside that and what I already wrote you need to have the link issue permission in order to link issues

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 21, 2013
Udo has it right, but I would add that you need to check that linking is enabled in the admin section as well.

Suggest an answer