Link between service desk and JIRA Software

ihandover admin September 11, 2016

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2016

Yes, you can link issues from one project to another, even if the projects are handled by different applications.

ihandover admin September 11, 2016

Thanks, but where is the traceability with this? For example I can transition an issue between the service desk and JIRA software, the ID changes to match the new project it resides in, but if I go in to the object I don't have anything immediate that says to me that this new bug in the development project started life as a service desk call

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2016

That's true, you have to look in the history of the issue, and be aware that the old issue id it had refers to a service desk project.

I don't think Atlassian really expects you to move issues like that, especially as doing it will remove a customer's access to the issue they raised (not that there's any particular support for the other approach - having a button to say "create development bug/task/etc from this service request, and link them together", which is something I've done a few times now with scripts)

ihandover admin September 12, 2016

Thanks Nic, does look like it will need to be a hand and spade approach of closing off service ticket citing that the issue is a bug and making sure the unique refs for each are added in to the notes of the respective objects. Its a curious one, though I completely understand the point of a customer losing visibility etc (and its a good point!)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 12, 2016

Without any scripting or automation, the best I can think of is "clone" - clone the issue that the service request created, then move that instead.  You'll at least have a copy of the data and the link back to the original.

ihandover admin September 12, 2016

Thanks Nic, I hadn't considered that possibility. It would be good to have a link in the system between to the two objects on some level. Would protect us from closing a ticket, raising a new bug, and someone not putting the original ticket no in the notes etc.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 12, 2016

Yes, that's what we've done with Script Runner - injected a web-fragment that runs a script which creates a copy of the service request in the dev project and links them.  A variation I've done in the past was to build it into the service request workflow, so that the agent would simply go "passed to dev" and that would do the issue create and link.

Suggest an answer