Link Jira as bug tracker with the application

Klemens Mueller August 25, 2015

Hi all.

Im new with JIRA. Im looking for the best method to track bugs directly from the application - the user clicked on a link in the app - and we get an new issue in Jira.

At first we add a link to the application. Is there an UI in JIRA which we can use?

Is there a code snippet or sample code to do this? 

And what we need to configure in our JIRA Server?

Maybe there is a topic in this forum but i could find it.

Thanks a lot for your efforts.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2015

JIRA provides a full issue tracking UI to answer your first question, but I'm unclear on what you are trying to achieve.  It sounds like you want to show issues in JIRA in your own application.  Is that the case?

Klemens Mueller August 26, 2015

I guess I have expressed myself somewhat misleading. I want call a function in our application that generates a ticket in Jira. If I understood it correct, Jira provides such capabilities? If yes how can I do it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2015

It's ok, I often misunderstand questions, so I ask. Yes, JIRA provides hooks for this. The obvious method is to use the REST interface in your code - when you need an issue, your application calls the create-jira-issue REST function. But that does mean you are doing all the work. The other option you might want to check before writing something for REST is JIRA's issue collectors - you go to aproject in JIRA, look for the issue collector and use it to set up the fields you want to use, and it gives you a block of html/javascript you can embed on a web page to get a little floating button that pops up a prompt for more data. (Obviously, this only works if your application is a web application, but if it is, this is really easy)

Klemens Mueller August 26, 2015

I will try both ways. Thank you Nic.

Suggest an answer