Link Existing JIRA OnPremise and Existing BitBucket Account

rockybalboa October 4, 2017

Hello,

I have existing JIRA account associated with me and that JIRA is set up on our premises. It works perfectly fine. I also have BitBucket account which has some projects and repo assigned.

I want to integrate both and make my user management more simpler.

I have following question:

1) Can BitBucket (i.e. on cloud) can be integrated with JIRA available at my premises?

2) What will happen to my existing user and their rights?

3) Will the password of existing users will be changed to JIRA password?
4) What if JIRA user is deleted? What steps do I need to take to delete it from BitBucket without deleting his changes from my repository or project?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 6, 2017

Hi Rocky,

I will try to answer your questions below:

1. Yes you can integrate Bitbucket Cloud with Jira Server.  Steps on how to do this are in Connecting Bitbucket Cloud with Jira Server Applications.
  2. These are completely separate applications, so they are not specifically sharing user accounts.  What you will likely want to do those is Configure automatic invitations.  This is one method for sending invitations to your Jira users to get them to create bitbucket accounts on your cloud instance
  3. This kind of integration does not change passwords.  These accounts are totally separate, so it is possible to have completely different usernames/passwords on these separate systems.
  4. Jira's documentation does not recommend actually deleting user accounts.  This causes historical data integrity problems in Jira.  Instead the recommendation is to mark those accounts as inactive.  This way the users can't login, and don't count against your license limits, and we don't have to deal with historical integrity problems.   I would believe the same practice would be applicable to Bitbucket as well. 
rockybalboa October 8, 2017

Yeah I am taking about making an user InActive, Do I need to make same users from BitBucket inactive? or will it be done automatically? 

What my Basic Idea of doing this is, I don't have to manage the users separately for JIRA and BitBucket, What I can be able to do is manage it from JIRA and automatically do same for BitBucket, as the user become inactive from JIRA he shouldn't be able to access my any private repos from BitBucket.

rockybalboa October 8, 2017

Another Question: 

What are the benefits of user management I will get when I configure JIRA Server and Bitbucket Cloud?

Eric Henry
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 17, 2017

As Andrew was saying, the accounts in Jira and Bitbucket are completely separate and are not linked in any way. This means that you will need to do user management activities (like marking users as inactive) once in each system.

In other words, there are no user management benefits from linking Jira Server and Bitbucket Cloud.

Suggest an answer