Link Bamboo Build to Jira Release

Norbert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2014

Hi

I would like to release a version of our software in JIRA and link it to an existing build.

In a straight forward approach I clicked on "Release" with an existing Build...
and then I hit a Dead End, because I get:

<fieldset id="bamboo-build-results" class="group" style="display: inline-block;"><legend>Existing Build</legend>

No builds found with unbuilt manual stages.

</fieldset>

WTF?
isn't it possible to just link it with an existing build?
reading the manual also doesn't helped, what is an unbuild manual stage?
I only have one stage in my build.

Then I tried to link it with a new Build, but how can i select a branch? (bamboo already is building the branch I need.

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Norbert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2014

The answer is:

No its not possible and Atlassian doesn't want to change it, because its not really intressted in what the users need.

3 votes
Ron Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 23, 2014

For what it's worth, you can achieve that by adding another stage to your build. Say bamboo runs "stage 1", the JIRA will execute "stage 2".

But since you cannot select the branch of your choosing, being able to do the above is very small consolation.

3 votes
Ron Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 23, 2014

I first encountered your frustration point 6+ months ago. To this day, Atlassian has provided no resolution https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BAM-12099nor have they suggested a good alternative. Feel free to express your displeasure, not that it would do any good.

This was quite the blocker issue for us so we just abandoned the whole releasing from JIRA workflow. IMO, that was such an inferior idea to what they used to have http://blogs.atlassian.com/2010/09/bamboo_jira_release_management_plugin/.

Seriously Atlassian, I know a large number of users would be in favor of bringing that concept back in some form.

Norbert
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 23, 2014

I even want to do something simpler!
Just adding an existing build to a release?!?!?!

If i click "link to existing build" I assume I get a list of available builds from the bamboo server, I select on, click ok and thats it!!

whats the point in using an "paused build" or whatever this is...

0 votes
Luying Pan December 16, 2014

man ... just realize how much money I saved my old company by writing a custom release management tool that did everything exactly the way we wanted. JIRA and bamboo has some nice things, but when it comes to release management, it's in a pretty sorry a** state.

Suggest an answer