Limiting the Components shown

Carolyn Howie October 16, 2014

Is it possible to limit the components shown for some Types of issues?

So the Users creating an issue of Type Bug would see a different list of Components than one creating an issue of Type New Feature or Type Customer Issue?

Or Users with different Roles would see a different list of Components - so Developers would see one list and Reporters another?

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2014

No.  Components are project level artefacts, certainly not user or issue-type things.

I can see uses for having components lists by issue type in some cases, but components by role would make a vile mess of your user experience.  The person raising a bug against component "penguin" would quickly lose patience with a developer saying "I don't know why you keep saying penguin, all I've got is Walrus, Kitteh and Aspidistra"

But whatever the use-case, JIRA doesn't support it.  Components are purely project based.

Carolyn Howie October 16, 2014

Hi Nic,

Thanks for your answer. 

I should have been a bit clearer -  the component lists for the User would be a sub set of that for the Developers - so for example new components wouldn't be visible to the Users until the version including them was released.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2014

That's a log less confusing for your users, true (although what happens if I'm a user and a developer?). But it's still not supported. Components is a list for the project, there's no conditions on what are shown to whom or where

Suggest an answer