Limiting notifications when a specific group is selected for viewing

Lee Correll
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2014

We have internal-only groups and often times make comments on issues that are visible only to our internal groups.

However, everybody - including my customers - get notified when we make those comments, even though they can't see the comments. Is there a way to turn off that notification, when someone who would typically get a notification *doesn't* because they aren't in the comment view group that specific time?

OnDemand only...

2 answers

0 votes
Lee Correll
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 15, 2014

That's kind of my point - a user who can view/watch should not get a notification when a comment is added that they *can't* view. However, it appears that they do get that notification. That would seem to be a bug / flaw to me, unless there's a configuration setting that I'm missing.

0 votes
George Dinkov _Botron_
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2014

Hi,

This should be achievable by customizing the notification schemes used by your projects:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Creating+a+Notification+Scheme

Lee Correll
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2014

We have custom notification schemes in place, but I don't see where the ability to further granularize the notifications based on who can see a comment exists. In fact, I would expect JIRA to *not* notify folks when they are restricted from viewing a comment, but that doesn't seem to be the case. If I've missed that somewhere, please correct me.

George Dinkov _Botron_
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2014

Are the users restricted from viewing the comments able to view/watch the issue? If they are a reporter/watcher by default they will recieve notifications when a comment is added so these notications should be removed and only the appropriate groups should be specified.

Suggest an answer