Limiting notifications when a specific group is selected for viewing

We have internal-only groups and often times make comments on issues that are visible only to our internal groups.

However, everybody - including my customers - get notified when we make those comments, even though they can't see the comments. Is there a way to turn off that notification, when someone who would typically get a notification *doesn't* because they aren't in the comment view group that specific time?

OnDemand only...

2 answers

Hi,

This should be achievable by customizing the notification schemes used by your projects:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Creating+a+Notification+Scheme

We have custom notification schemes in place, but I don't see where the ability to further granularize the notifications based on who can see a comment exists. In fact, I would expect JIRA to *not* notify folks when they are restricted from viewing a comment, but that doesn't seem to be the case. If I've missed that somewhere, please correct me.

Are the users restricted from viewing the comments able to view/watch the issue? If they are a reporter/watcher by default they will recieve notifications when a comment is added so these notications should be removed and only the appropriate groups should be specified.

That's kind of my point - a user who can view/watch should not get a notification when a comment is added that they *can't* view. However, it appears that they do get that notification. That would seem to be a bug / flaw to me, unless there's a configuration setting that I'm missing.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,317 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot