Limiting access to only Dashboards and Reports in JIRA to customer

shampa
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 27, 2013

We are using JIRA to manage and tract defects. We would like a certain section of users say SENIOR Management access shared dashboards of projects but nevertheless their view should be simple enough. Say all other menus except Dashboards be disabled for them so that they do nor unnecessarily loiter around.

Or even if say menus are visible, they remain disabled or do not function for their login ids so that they can be facilitated with limited training only about dashboards and gadgets.

We have JIRA 5.0.6 with Greenhopper

7 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2013

You can only see data in Jira without logging in if the project the data is in allows anonymous access.

Look at the permission scheme(s) for the project(s) you want to publicise, and look at the "Browse" permission. Add a new group to it - you will find "anyone" on the group list.

Be warned though, it really does mean "anyone" and it will let them view all the project screens and the issues as well. They'll get all the menus, although it will hide things they can't do.

You also need to be careful to make sure you do NOT give permission to do anything else at all to "anyone". You don't want anonymous access to edit, comment, move through workflows etc - you need to ensure that your workflows all have confitions on them to enforce known users only.

0 votes
Reshmi Nair February 19, 2014

Hi Shampa,

I need to do the exact same thing that you describe above. Did you have any luck with setting up a limited account or did you have to extract data from JIRA and display it elsewhere?

Regards,

Reshmi

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2013

I don't have an answer for that other than "write something that extracts data from Jira and only displays the bits you want them to see"

Jira simply doesn't do hiding of stuff like that. You can either see an issue, or you can't. Even the plugins that let you hide fields won't help you here because they'll still let you into the projects and other screens.

0 votes
shampa
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 27, 2013

Thanks Nic. You made me correctly recall this feature of browsing projects without login. Now I also woudl like to admit that it does not serve my purpose which I stated at the beginning of my question. For e.g. I would like these special users to know Issue status but not other details like who is working on it or all such details found in the activity panel of every Issue.

I am ok if you can suggest totally a different solution not necessarily through sharing of dashboards.

Thanks

0 votes
Onkar Ahire
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 27, 2013

As per the Dashboard prospective I will recommend you to create a simple user and share dashboard to him along with their credential and rest of the permission are restricted just like Create issue, work on issue, so and so... , focusing on requirement What could be exceptation from guest user accordingly we can set permission for...

Regards

Onkar Ahire

0 votes
Onkar Ahire
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 27, 2013

No , Without log in you can't see dashboard.

As per my understanding you can create one user and share dashboard with him eg. Guest.

and rest of the permission are resticted to that user.

shampa
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 27, 2013

How do u create public user..

can you elaborate on your solution please

0 votes
shampa
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 27, 2013

The dashboard menu is visible without login. It seems to be suggesting that one can view dashboards without logging in. Is it true and if so how do we do this so that oen is able to see project data through dashboards without logging in

Suggest an answer