Limiting JIRA access to a single project

Alain Fontaine December 11, 2017

Good afternoon,

So, probably like dozens before me, I have spent the morning trying to figure out how to limit a user's (or group's) access to a single project within Jira. So far, without success. I want to avoid having to change "everything" in our current setup, namely the default permissions, as I simply don't have the time to modify dozens of existing users and projects and permission schemes.

I have so far drilled down my issue to the fact that the default permission scheme seems to say that "any logged-in user" can browser projects, etc. As soon as I create a new group for my restricted users, and give this group "Application access" (which they obviously need to login), they do become "logged-in users" and thus have access to ALL of the projects.

Am I right by saying that there is no way around changing the default permission scheme to remove the "any logged-in user" part, and thus requiring me to create at least one group called "internal" or "employees" which will then again have the option to "browser projects" in order not to break stuff for current users?

If that's the case, I need to find another application to deal with our externals because I'm not going to wreck up everything that works otherwise very well :)

Thanks

3 answers

0 votes
Evan B July 11, 2018

I'm  having this same issue. I found this support article, but it's not quite bringing me to the promised land. 
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/limit-restrict-user-s-project-access-280069544.html

I'm wondering if this is due to the fact that it's for Jira Server, and I'm running Jira Cloud. Anyone know of a corollary step-by-step guide on this for Jira beginners for Cloud?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2018

I've not seen one.  The principles in the variants are the same in that the permissions work in the same way, but Cloud has a very different (and, in my opinion, very poor) user interface. 

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2017

Hello,

You need to change the permission scheme and let only selected by you users/groups/roles see the project. You can create an new permission scheme and grant necessary permissions then you can add this permission scheme to the required project. In this case all other projects will not have any changes.

I'm afraid that is wrong. All current projects have the "Browse projects" permission for "Any logged-in user", so without changing this, any logged-in user will still be able to see all of the existing projects.

Your method would work if I wanted to HIDE new projects from EXISTING users.

I want to hide existing projects from new users, which is quite different.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2017

I'm afraid it's not "quite different".  Once a new user is created, they are an existing user.  The age of their account is irrelevant.  So you need to hide new projects from all users and then grant the access to the limited few.

Nic,

Sure - "new projects". But what about the 75+ projects that I currently have and which all have the default scheme with "any logged-in user" permission to browse them?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 11, 2017

You'll need to remove the any logged in user from the scheme and replace it with something to let the right users back into it.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2017

You are a Jira Administrator, you should know all your schemes and make changes keeping in mind the whole configuration.

For sure!

It would be helpful if you had a "beginner's watch out!" when you start with Jira. I have a feeling that a lot of people have trapped themselves into a similar situation because when you start, you don't necessarily think of the stuff you'll need 2-3 years down the road - and by then, it's too late.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 11, 2017

Correct, you need to do what the other posts you've found say - re-build your access, removing "any logged in user" from permissions.

Suggest an answer