Limit visibility of kanban boards/projects to certain users

Michelle Dyer August 31, 2016

I am new to JIRA and not a software developer so I am struggling to get my head around how to do this from reading about permission schemes etc.

I have 100 boards and 10 users, each user only ever needs to see and work on their 10 boards, with 3 admins being able to see and amend all of the boards. 

How do i set this up - in very straight forward layman's terms please

4 answers

2 votes
crochaju
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2016

Hi Michelle,

Im quite new to JIRA to help ypu How to set up, please click here , just be aware that A board is available to all users who can view the saved filter on which the board is based. (Note that they will also need 'Browse' project permission for the project(s) whose issues are shown on the board. See Permissions overview for more information.)

And if you want to restrict some project, you should restrict a group to access it. wink

To understand better how the permissions work, have a look in here.  

In resume:

In the JIRA Software documentation, most configuration options are described as being restricted to either JIRA administrators, project administrators, or board administrators. 

• A JIRA administrator is a user with the JIRA administrators global permission.  
  • A project administrator is a user with the Administer projects project permission for a particular project. 
    By default, the 'Administer projects' permission is assigned to the 'administrators' group (via the Administrators role) for projects.
    Additionally, to perform sprint-related actions, users need the 'Manage sprints' permission for all projects in the origin board — the origin board being the board in which the sprint was originally created.
  • A board administrator is a user that has been added to the Administrators for a particular board. 
    By default, the administrator of a board includes the person who created it.

I hope it help you as helped myself!

Cheers!

Carlos Rocha

1 vote
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2016

The JIRA project which are underneath the boards have permission schemes. And based on those project schemes you can also manage permissions to the boards created from those projects.

Project permission schemes - https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/managing-project-permissions-802592442.html

0 votes
noamdah
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2016

Michelle,

I suggest that you manage your permissions by groups for easy changes of people in the group, this way in the future you do not have to change the shares and permissions for each user one by one.

0 votes
Michelle Dyer August 31, 2016

Many thanks for your help Carlos and Tarun, I will have a look at those links.

Regards

Michelle

Suggest an answer