Limit sub-task due date not to pass parent issue due date

Jacques
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2012

hi all,

is there any way to force JIRA not to accept sub-task due dates that go beyond the parent's issue due date?

Eg:

• parent issue due date is set to Feb 15, 2012
  • sub task due date should not be allowed to be set beyond this date. Any date before Feb 15 should be accepted.

From my reasoning this should be a condition during the issue creation process...

Any suggestions?

thanks,
Jacques.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2012

You'll need to find or write a "validator" to do this (a "condition" will stop a transition from being offered to a user - that's a bit too early in the lifecycle)

Jacques
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2012

thanks Nic,

where would I look for such a validator? I (still have no) experience with programming in/for JIRA.

thx,
Jacques.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2012

https://plugins.atlassian.com/ is the place to start.

Jacques
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 19, 2012

Thanks Nic! On my way there now!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2012

It absolutley depends on your process.

But I'd say that in the majority of cases, no - you would not want a parent issue to have it's due date amended by a sub-task - if that happens, your main task would have been changed, probably without any oversight by a human. Jacques approach feels more correct - if a human needs to push a sub-task out past the main task's due-date, then it's very likely that a batch of humans need to know, and discuss the problem. As someone who has to deliver stuff to deadlines, I absolutely would NOT want my deadlines being changed just because we're breaking up work into bits.

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 19, 2012

Was wondering, it should be rather the other way, the parent task due date should get shifted as per the latest due date from the sub-tasks. Isn't it?

Suggest an answer