Limit search criteria in JIRA

Govardan Krishna January 20, 2015

we have external facing JIRA application, is there any way we can limit 1 customer not to see issues created by other customer?

currently 1 customer can see issues created by their company as well all issues in JIRA instance

your help is appreciated

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2015

Yes, but you'll probably need to revise your permissions and groups.

JIRA ships with a default group "JIRA users", which is used to say "people can log in".  Unfortunately, it is also used in all the defaults to say "can use project", which means you end up with a completely open JIRA where everyone can see everything.

You almost certainly want to unpick that - get rid of it - remove JIRA users from everywhere except "can log in" and put your users back into their projects by another route.

Once you've fixed the broken default, you then need to think access for your two customers through.  The most simple option is now to have separate projects, one for each customer - add your internal users to both projects, but only the relevant customers to their own projects.

Or you might want to enable "reporter browse" and use that in a single project (only works if your customers have one account each)

Or you could get them to set the security level on an issue as they create it - again, you'll have one project, but the users will have to choose a security level on each issue.

Govardan Krishna January 20, 2015

Nic,

we have only 1 project that shared among different customers - as i understand from your response we can create 1 project per customer or create scurity level?

how to create security level? i mean how you set security level when you create an issue

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2015

There is also reporter-browse which lets you set up a project where a user can only see issues they raised themselves, but if your customers have multiple accounts, it's not that much help. Yes, the second option is to have one project per customer. And the third is to use security levels - these let you say "when security level A, only let one set of users see it, and when security level B, only let another set see it". Start at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Issue-level+Security

Govardan Krishna January 21, 2015

thank you so much nic..i have done below steps and seems its working - i have created Security Scheme, and added security level for each customer - Assigned Security scheme to my project - Set "Set Change Request Security" in Permission Scheme - Add Security level field to screens (Including edit screen) - Made Security level field as Required in my Project Field Configuration

Govardan Krishna January 21, 2015

Hi Nic, The problem i am facing now is.. i am now getting any emails now.. i created an issue with security level set and i did not get any email - but i do not see any error in the log. I see below in issuecreated.vm - do i need change anything here? #parse("templates/email/html/includes/fields/securitylevel.vm") #parse("templates/email/html/includes/fields/timetracking.vm")

0 votes
Yam Diet January 20, 2015

Go to settings - issues - Premission schemes

set in premission scheme issue visability for author, assignee and admin (maybe for somebody else)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2015

I'm afraid that won't work for separating out the customers

Suggest an answer