Limit "create issue" permission

Tanner Wortham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2013

I'd like to give our users free reign to create tasks under user stories, but I don't want them to create user stories themselves. In the permission scheme, there's only one permission: create issue. I can think of at least one hack to solve the problem, but I thought I'd ask the group their suggestions.

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2013

Not nice but a possible solution: You can add a validator to the Create transition that rejects a try to create an issue if the validation is negative. The user is able to select the issue type but gets an error message after clicking on create.

Another possibility may be a Javascript to remove the issuetypes from the selection. But that's nothing I can help with... :-)

Henning

Tanner Wortham
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 15, 2013

The validator route is what i was considering as well, Henning. This just seemed like a common bit of functionality that I had hoped would have a more elegant solution or that I was overlooking in the core product.

0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 15, 2013
0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 14, 2013

We work around this by putting the types you want to limit creation of in different projects. You can link issues across projects. Not a perfect solution. People have wanted issue level permissions pretty much from day one but it still isn't there. I don't expect it soon.

Mark Bednarski March 14, 2013

Agree with you having a poxy project could do the job, but is not as nice as an integrated way.

0 votes

This is similar to this question:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/44402/issue-security-allow-only-certain-user-groups-to-create-view-certain-issue-types

We have the same problem here we have 8 different issue types and public should only be able to create tickets of 3 different types the other ones should be only internally created.

A validator is not nice as the user get the feeling his ticket was "rejected" adn make another choice.

Thanks
Mark

0 votes

Same here weh have 8 different issue types and public should only be able to create tickets of 3 different types the other ones should be only internally created.

Thanks
Mark

Suggest an answer