Limit "Browse Users" to project level permission, not global

Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2015

I know this is an outstanding limitation of JIRA - the question on how to do this in JIRA has already been asked and there's also an open issue for it with Atlassian. Basically, we have multiple customers that need access to the same JIRA instance, but those customers should not be able to see each other's users (i.e. users from Customer A should not be able to see users from Customer B, and vice versa). However, we want customer users to have the ability to search for users within their project (each customer is assigned to a different project), but there's no way to allow users to do this without giving them the "Browse Users" permission, which is a global permission and can't be set on a project level.

Has anyone found any workarounds or add-ons that will enable you to do this? I'm aware of the Zones add-on, but I'm also interested if there might be any other solutions or workarounds out there. Any information or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

7 answers

2 votes
armin.mayrhofer April 14, 2016

Desperately need this as well and have not found a workaround after long searches.

0 votes
Gregor Pichler February 1, 2021

This is really annoying that "Browse Users" is a global permission. This can't be GDPR compliant to browse people outside of a project and across our whole JIRA site.

0 votes
t.s. December 8, 2020

Hello everyone,

are there any news about this feature request?
Thanks a lot and stay healthy!

0 votes
t.s. December 8, 2020

Hello everyone,

are there any news about this feature request?
Thanks a lot and stay healthy! :-)

0 votes
Isaac_nl September 9, 2019
0 votes
Goran Dermeta June 8, 2018

Yeah,

I still haven't found anything useful.

0 votes
Erick Perez May 25, 2016

Definitely need this functionality!

Suggest an answer