Limit list of assignees in issue creation

Gudni Gylfason February 6, 2013

Is it still not possibe to exclude a certain group of people from assignee list when creating an issue?

3 answers

1 vote
Isaac Montes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2013

Hello Giudni,

This can be done under Project Administration>Permissions

Project permissions allow you to control access to your project, and what they can do. Access to individual issues is granted to people by issue permissions.

To define how permissions are configured for a particular project you will need to set a permission scheme. If you are using the default permission scheme, I recommend you create a new permission scheme (this way you can go back to you previous configuration)

Under Issue permissions you can modify:

Assignable User
Users with this permission may be assigned to issues.

This can be set to a particular User(s), Group(s), or/and Role(s)

After defining the new permission scheme you will need to assign it to the project needing this scheme.

For more information on how to create a permission scheme visit Atlassian Documentation

Gudni Gylfason February 7, 2013

I have tried this. The Assignable User permission does only decide if a user is assignable. My Issue is with limiting witch "assignable users" certain users can assing issues within each project.

Example: We run a tech helpdesk. The issues are executed within departmental projects. Within these projects employes also use jira for their departmental issues. We allow people to create and assign issues. The IT team is ofcourse an assignable user on all these projects. We however do not want people to assign issues directly as we filter all issues through a helpdesk project and then edit and move them. We would like to exclude the IT team (and possibly others) from the dropdown list that users get when assigning issues, but we ofcourse have to be assignable users in the project.

It does also not seem to be possible to set the permission so that users can only assign them self a issue that the create. This should be a standard function of having the status "Assignable User" with out having the permission of "Assign Issues" to other people. The Assignee field does not appere if you don t also have the "assign Issues" permission.

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2013
  • Get rid of the assignee field from Create screen so that everyone needs to be use 'Assign' button to assign and an issue to anyone.
  • Use workflow properties and limit (using the right permission) which users appear in the list based on your status

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Workflow+Properties

0 votes
CL February 7, 2013

I am not clear about your approach:

- you have several (departmental) projects where users can create and assign issues.

- on the other hand you have a "helpdesk project" to filter issues and move them (to where?) - I would understand that all issues for the IT team should be in that helpdesk project?

If yes, why is IT team included in assignable users in the other projects?

You could create several permission schemes - one including IT team as assignable user used for helpdesk project, other permission schemes without IT team used for departmental projects.

Suggest an answer