Limit customer to his project

Zsolt Szilagyi November 4, 2013

Hello,

while evaluating if atlassian can replace our stack of open-source tools, I have serious trouble to limit users to single projects. We intend to have one project per customer, and to grant the customers access to their projects (1 to 5 people per project, plus developer). If anyone ever gets to see anything not intended for him, that s a dealbreaker.

I cannot spend hours of configuration for new customers (creating new groups, permissions and whatever else) - is there a simple one-click solution to say "this customer can view this project only"?

I do know this description https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/47558/how-can-i-restrict-a-user-so-he-can-see-one-project-only but I feel that atlassian - loved for their usability - must have come up with something managable that I just missed. After all, in that opensource php tool with the green bug logo it s a matter of 5 seconds...

Thanks in advance

Michael

PS: I would love to get that synced to confluence - one section per project, limited to the project users - but let s take one step at a time.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 4, 2013

No, the flexiblity in the scheme makes it complex to set up.

You've already got a link to one attempt to set it up, but to summarise it, what you need to do is

1. Have a group that means "can log in", and does NOTHING else. (The default is to have this as "jira users", which is then used in other places)

2. If you want to use "jira users" for this (recommended), then go into ALL of your permission schemes and remove the usage of that group. Especially from "browse" permissions

3. Again, if using "jira users", you need to remove it from EVERY role it might be in

4. Now, change your permission schemes to say "only people in the role of users can see this project"

5. Each time you create a new customer/project, put them in the role of user in their project and nowhere else.

Note that you only need to do steps 1-4 once, to get you into the most simple configuration.

Zsolt Szilagyi November 4, 2013

Have a lot of thanks Nic, that made the procedure quite more clear than other descriptions. I wonder if there will ever be a "create new customer - wizard" or if granting access to customers is rather odd for jira use cases.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 4, 2013

I think the main problem is the defaults that Jira ships with make untangling the permissions and setting it up so you can do "user only sees their project(s)" quite difficult. And hard work if you've evolved lots of permission schemes.

Thing is, I don't think it's that uncommon to want to do that. In an ideal world, information would be open and free, but it doesn't work in our worlds and a lot of people need these restrictions!

Suggest an answer