Limit characters on custom field with Special characters accepted and Upper and lower case accepted.

RSP July 13, 2021

Field should be a freeform text entry with spellchecking turned on. Limit of 1024 characters. Special characters accepted. Upper and lower case accepted.Field needs to be available to API’s.

I have Adaptivist Scriptrunner to develop a behavior or validator.

Should I need to write behavior for that field or Add Validator?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alex
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2021

Hi @RSP 

This is an excellent question! It comes down to the user experience and consistency while creating, editing transitioning a Jira issue:

Validator

• It prevents the workflow transition from happening if criteria do not match
  • Display a workflow error message and request the user to fix the field
  • If the same field can be edited after created user will be able to add more than 1024 characters while editing
  • It might be required that the validator needs to be implemented in more than 1 workflow transition to guarantee consistency. 
  • It might prevent the reuse of the workflow by other issue types/projects that do not have the same custom field.

Behaviour

• It will be implemented in a specific field and mapped to a particular project/issue type.
  • Creating and editing the field will present a specific error message before triggering the workflow validation. 
  • Always prevent users from adding more than 1024 characters while editing/creating.
  • It does not require more than 1 script, as long as the criteria are the same.
  • It does not impact the reuse of the workflow by other issue types/projects that do not have the same custom field.
  • It can be mapped to as many projects and issue types as it makes sense for your business.

I know it is not a Yes/No answer, but I wanted to give you the pros/cons to make your own decision.

I hope it helps,

Alex

Suggest an answer