Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Limit characters on custom field with Special characters accepted and Upper and lower case accepted.

Field should be a freeform text entry with spellchecking turned on. Limit of 1024 characters. Special characters accepted. Upper and lower case accepted.Field needs to be available to API’s.

I have Adaptivist Scriptrunner to develop a behavior or validator.

Should I need to write behavior for that field or Add Validator?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi @Reshma Patel 

This is an excellent question! It comes down to the user experience and consistency while creating, editing transitioning a Jira issue:

Validator

• It prevents the workflow transition from happening if criteria do not match
  • Display a workflow error message and request the user to fix the field
  • If the same field can be edited after created user will be able to add more than 1024 characters while editing
  • It might be required that the validator needs to be implemented in more than 1 workflow transition to guarantee consistency. 
  • It might prevent the reuse of the workflow by other issue types/projects that do not have the same custom field.

Behaviour

• It will be implemented in a specific field and mapped to a particular project/issue type.
  • Creating and editing the field will present a specific error message before triggering the workflow validation. 
  • Always prevent users from adding more than 1024 characters while editing/creating.
  • It does not require more than 1 script, as long as the criteria are the same.
  • It does not impact the reuse of the workflow by other issue types/projects that do not have the same custom field.
  • It can be mapped to as many projects and issue types as it makes sense for your business.

I know it is not a Yes/No answer, but I wanted to give you the pros/cons to make your own decision.

I hope it helps,

Alex

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you