Limit available project roles in projects?

Peter Friberg April 26, 2017

It is common that one JIRA instance is used in several different contexts.
Each context having its own setup of projects, permissionschemes and roles.

Because the project roles list is global, it happens quite frequently that project administrators assign users/groups to inproper project roles. Project admins also get unsure of which roles to use.

I know that there is no function to to limit the roles for a project, but is it possible to do a "hack" for this?

Are there any improvements suggested for my need?

1 answer

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 26, 2017

Ideally, it should be handled via process. You might have to do some kind of project admin training, specific to the projects they are involved with.

If you really want to hack into the behavior, it should be fairly easy to inject some javascript into the page that will hide the unwanted roles. The javascript will be looking for project ids, or any other metadata like category, to decide which roles to be removed from the page. This will add some maintenance effort for future JIRA upgrades.

Peter Friberg April 28, 2017

Thanks for answer!
The process is actually quite good. Project admins are trained how to use the roles. Unfortunately they forget, roles changes, admins are replaced and so on.

David June 26, 2019

This would be so handy. Maybe we can submit this as a feature request? I'm finding myself needing this at the moment and its so frustrating. End up with potentially hundreds of project roles that are only relevant to the specific projects that needed them originally. 

Suggest an answer