Limit Project Hours

Alex Natoniewski August 25, 2015

Our projects correlate to our clients, and our clients pay for an allotment of hours monthly, and unused hours rollover to the following month. Is there any way to have JIRA track this for us? Have each project have an "hours remaining" field, and allow us to add to that number each month. 

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2015

Natively, logging time to JIRA is not in the project level, it's done on the ticket issues itself. There maybe plugins for this but I am not using anything like it so I cannot advise what to use.

What you can do right now (without any plugins) is to create 1 issue per Month (January) on your desired JIRA Project put an "Original Estimate" on that issue, say 400 hours. Update this ticket everyday by "logging" hours to it so the estimated hours will be burned down. At the end of the month, you've logged 390 hours. When you create another issue for Month (February), put an estimate of 410 hours for your team to use. This can be done with several issues per developer whatever your preference is as long as the total hours is 400.

Alex Natoniewski August 25, 2015

I like this idea, and am curious (doing some research now) if you know of anyway to have work logged on any ticket be copied to that "master" ticket?

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2015

If that's the case. Use Sub Tasks. The parent task (issue) estimated hours will be the sum of all estimated hours for each sub task. When you log work against sub-tasks, your parent issue remaining estimate is automatically adjusted.

0 votes
Arthur Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 25, 2015

Hello Alex,

Sure you can! Please refer to this page to understand how to use time tracking functionalities on JIRA. smile

I hope it helps!

-- Arthur Gonçalves

Suggest an answer