Limit Ability To Transition Workflow Based on Current Assignee and Group

Nick S December 5, 2013

I would like to lilmit who can transition an issue's workflow.

Is it possible to allow only the current assignee to transition the workflow and anyone in a paricular group? So both criteria could change it.

I want all users to be able to view all issues.

I've looked into Issue Security but its not clear if you can limit the transition ability. Possibly a transition validator?

Thanks.

4 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2013

Actually, workflow properties are overkill and over-complex for this.

If you look at a transtion, you'll see you can add "conditions". These allow or deny people to perform transitions based on all sorts of rules.

The really easy one is "only allow current assignee". "Only allow if user is part of a group" is another. You can glue them together with AND and/or OR statements too. You can do roles, reporter, project lead, assorted permissions, field contents etc etc etc. And write your own!

In fact, you should ALWAYS place at least one condition on every transition, even if it's just "person must be a member of jira-users", otherwise anonymous users can do stuff.

1 vote
Ty A December 8, 2013

Is there a way to have a 'blanket condition' for an entire project workflow? I don't want to have to add a condition to every single transition in my workflow, that is very prone to input-error.

1 vote
Jason Hensler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2013

If you want to restrict the movment of an issue, you'll need to set a property on the step in the workflow. Go to the workflow step and click View step's properties. Then set a property, something like jira.permissions.move.user= user_name , jira.permissions.move.group = group_name , or jira.permission.assign.assignee to "granted".

This link http://www.j-tricks.com/1/post/2011/02/permissions-based-on-workflow-status.html is still a good source for more on this. You might also check https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Workflow+properties

0 votes
David Skreiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 10, 2016

"Only allow current assignee" is not an easy to use option.

It fails when you add the Assignee field to a transition screen: If the assignee sets a new assignee before confirming the transition, the transition with a permissions error.
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-60940 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2016

Yes, that's why you don't put it on the screen.

Suggest an answer