Licensing question: Upgrading from 6.4 to 7.0 and then to 7.6

Ankit Patel December 18, 2017

We have a server version 6.4 running and are planning to upgrade all the way up to 7.6. I know this is a two-step process. 

I reviewed the licensing of our instance and found that we have a JIRA License, and JIRA Agile Plugin License. From what I read in the documentation, my understanding is that:

1. Jira Agile will be deprecated and its features will be integrated into version 7.0+

2. our current JIRA License will be converted to a JIRA Software License

Can I get some confirmation if my understanding is correct? The reason I am confused is that when I go to the license page in System, I see that we have a JIRA Software (Server) License. 

Please help! 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2017

Nearly right:

1. Yes - but specifically, Jira Agile gets converted into the application "Jira Software".  So you're moving from Jira + Agile add-on to Jira + Software Application

2.  No, there's no conversion!  A key for Jira Software will activate an older Jira Agile add-on, and an Agile key will work for Jira Software.

Ankit Patel December 18, 2017

Thanks Nic,

So the Agile Key will activate the JIRA Software..

This line confuses me - "For example, a JIRA Agile license can be used with the JIRA Agile application, but not for JIRA Software."

https://confluence.atlassian.com/migration/jira-7/jira-license-compatibility-matrix

Suggest an answer