License tier for Atlassian products

Emilio Iglesias July 4, 2017

Hi,
I'm setting up a self-hosted suite of Atlassian products, including Jira, Bitbucket and Confluence.
Our forecast is that we will have an uneven user demand for each of the tools, but still we would like to have a single user database.
From a licensing perspective, is it possible to have different license tiers for each of the tools? In other words, can I have a 500 User tier for Jira/Confluence and a 100 User tier for Bitbucket?

Regards,
Emilio

1 answer

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 4, 2017

Hi Emilio,

since you buy license for each of these applications separately, this should be no problem.

Emilio Iglesias July 4, 2017

Hi,

thanks for your prompt answer. What I read in the Atlassian documentation in regards to how users are counted against licensing is:

A user is, by definition, any account with the permission to log into the application. A named user with this permission is counted towards the user limit, whether logged in to the application or not. Our licensing model is not based on concurrent users

So in case there is a shared user database between all the tools, I wonder how each user is associated with a specific tool so that it doesn't count for the others?

regards,
         Emilio
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 4, 2017

we also have a central Active Directory in our company. In Jira there is a group called "jira-users", in Confluence there is another group "confluence-users" and in bitbucket "Each user given access to a private repository counts to your plan." (https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/how-users-accumulate-on-an-individual-account-590262585.html)

So in each application, you decide which user is able to use it, either by adding her / him to a group or by granting access to a repository.

Suggest an answer