License for JIRA upgrade

Deepti Jain January 6, 2014

Hi,

We are upgrading Atlassian JIRA from version 5.0.5 to 6.1.5.

Please let us know if this will require us any additional license cost?

Thanks,

Deepti

5 answers

1 vote
RicardoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2014

Hi Deepti

If your current license is not expired at the moment, you can upgrade with no costs and it is fully supported.

Hope it helps,

Ricardo Carracedo.

Deepti Jain January 19, 2014

Yes, this is helpful. Thanks for the response.

Best Regards,

Deepti

0 votes

This makes sense. Got it.

Thank you!

Deepti

0 votes
Deepti Jain January 7, 2014

Thanks Nic. We are not upgrading JIRA directly, instead we are installing latest version instance, and then migrating data to that instance. So we will need separate license. How to proceed for that. I have created case with Atlassian, waiting for their response as well.

Thanks,

Deepti

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2014

I'm afraid you misunderstood me. The developer licence will work on your new installation.

As a separate point, the process you describe "create new and migrate" is effectively the same as "upgrade live without bothering to test anything". I can't stress enough that you should always test an upgrade properly. Clone your live system to a test system and upgrade it - that way, you will find out all the things that could cause issues.

Got it :).

Thnx

0 votes
Deepti Jain January 6, 2014

Thanks Ricardo and Nic.
Currently we are at version 5.0.1 and want to upgrade to latest, thats I believe 6.1.5. We upgraded to v5.0.1 in March 2013 and our license is very much valid. Now before upgrading in Prod, we need to try it out in our Dev and test environments. For that we need developers license. But we are entitled to get developers license to only 5.0.5 version. How can we get developer's license for latest version.

Best Regards,

Deepti

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2014

Last time I tried it, a developer licence works for all versions of Jira that you could use.

One of the main reasons they exist is to allow upgrade testing, so you should find that if you put the 5.0.5 developer licence into your test system while it's on v5.0.5 (or, ideally, 5.0.1 as you should start your upgrade testing from exactly what you've got on live), you'll find that when you move to 6.1.5, it'll simply say "yep, got a good licence, thanks" and work fine.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 6, 2014
As the documentation states, there is no cost for upgrading

Thanks for the response.

Best Regards,

Deepti

Deepti Jain January 26, 2014

Hi,

I dont know how to close this conversation. I can't find both the options:

• Accept an answer (click the grey check mark)
  • Answer your own question, then accept your answer (find the 'Answer my own question' link underneath your question)

Neither I see 'Grey Check Mark'. nor I can find 'Answer my own question' link. What to do? Its good to close it now.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 26, 2014

To the left of the answers there is a check mark. I can see it on my open question.

Deepti Jain February 2, 2014

I can't see. Can you upload a screen shot. Sorry for all the inconvenience :(

Regards, Deepti

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 2, 2014

There's no point in a screen-shot, it's right in front of you as you are reading this conversation. Look to the left of the user image against the answer

Suggest an answer