Let watchers comment on tickets

Alwin ter Stege June 13, 2022

We want to restrict the access to on of our projects. We can make all required settings, however we are stuck in 1 settings. We want watchers to be able to comment on the ticket they are watching. I haven't had seen a solution so far. Does anyone have a solution? 

3 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 13, 2022

I think you already know that this is not what watchers are for, but think through what it would let you do if you could use "watchers" in permissions.

Effectively, you wouldn't need permissions anymore, anyone could do everything because they can add themselves as a watcher and hence gain permissions.

You'll need to think of a different way to grant the ability to comment, watchers is not the right way to do it.  @Sreenivasaraju P and @Jack Brickey have made the first two suggestions I would look at.

0 votes
Sreenivasaraju P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 13, 2022

Hi @Alwin ter Stege ,

As per my knowledge, you can't add watchers neither to the permission schema nor to the issue security schema (Out of the box)

Watcher is used to get notifications. To become watcher, the user already should be in the issue security & browse permission (minimum of view permission).

Alternatively , you can create multi user picker, use this custom field to get notification and you can add this field in any other permissions like comment or log work..etc.

Hi @Sreenivasaraju P ,

Thanks for your reply, I'll give it a try.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 13, 2022

Hi @Alwin ter Stege , welcome to the community.

Assuming you are using CMP project you can configure who can comment on issues under project settings > permissions. However, there isn't a "watchers" dynamic group that you can reference when configuring the permission. You could create a role or group for this but it would be static as far as the members of the group. With that said, I'm not sure I fully comprehend your use case here. Generally Watchers are simply members of the project team that have Browse, assignable, etc. permissions too. If this is the case then the Comment permission should mirror the Assignable permission.

Hi @Jack Brickey ,
Thanks for your response. The project is a Software Project.
The case is a helpdesk project for the internal organization:

• All users must be able to create new tickets.
  • The reporter, assignee and watchers must be able to add comments and attachments to the ticket
  • The IT team must be able to work on the ticket

That's what we want to create.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events