Let JIRA standalone and Stash run from the same Tomcat?

Hedgehog November 7, 2014

I've got a vServer running standalone JIRA and standalone Stash. They use both 2,5 Gigabyte RAM (despite having only very little content on them). Therefore I'm looking for ways to limit the memory-usage.

How can I let both application run from the same Tomcat?

Are there other ways to improve the memory situation?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2014

I wouldn't do this.  Atlassian's standard recommendation is to run their applications in separate Tomcat installations.

If you look at the way Tomcat runs, you'll generally find that it is using a tiny fraction of the resources that are in use for Stash or Jira.  The resource saving of running them both in one Tomcat is so small, you probably won't even be able to detect it.  But you'll quickly notice the slower threading, issues with class paths, the annoyance that you can't analyse their running separately, the need to stop both just to change something on one of them, and, and, and...

Keep them separate, it's well worth it. 

Hedgehog November 7, 2014

OK, but how can I limit Tomcat's memory usage? 2,5 GB for two applications is too much. I only have 2,5 GB available so the server is slow because of all the swapping :(

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2014

Set the upper limits on the processes using the -Xmx flags in setenv.sh

Suggest an answer