Latest issues only appear by searching on exact issue number after importing mysql dump

Matt May 29, 2014

I'm migrating our Jira instance to a new server, I've copied the program and home directories to the new server and set up all the prerequisites. After importing the mysql dump the most recent tickets are not appearing when queried, but when I enter the exact issue number they show up. For instance I search by the project key db it will list all the db tickets, showing the latest first. That latest ticket being DB-1456 for instance, then I search by for DB-1457 and that ticket will come up, only it does not come up in the first query. I hope this makes sense. Any ideas? Thanks for your hlep.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Matt June 1, 2014

I suspect my problem all along was not dumping the mysql database with a user with lock table privileges, I can't garauntee this was the cause but all is working now and and that's the only thing I can think of. Thanks for any help though, it was much appreciated.

0 votes
Matt May 29, 2014

I have run a reindex a number of times, strangley with no effect, and yes the old instance is still up, it's still our production Jira. When you say export/import are you referring to the xml backup tool in Jira? I was under the impression our database was too big for that, not sure about that though. We're on Jira 6.05 running on Fedora 14 and migrating to CentOS 6.5 Mysql version on the production box is 14.14 Distrib 5.1.55, for redhat-linux-gnu (x86_64) using readline 5.1 and on the new CentOS box it's Mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.1.73, for redhat-linux-gnu (x86_64) using readline 5.1

The problem is the latest tickets entered on the old system that are included in the dump are not appearing when queried unless you search for them by their exact issue number. And yes the migrated jira works perfectly except for this issue. Feel free to ask me for more clarification of the issue if I'm not being clear. Thanks again.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 29, 2014

A MySQL move you've described should actually be fine. However, I'm completely unclear on your problems here.

Are you saying that everything you brought in via the MySQL dump is working ok? But any new issues you add can't be searched for? Or are you saying that most of the MySQL dump is ok, barring a few of the latest issues that were in it? (And again, in the second case, what do new issues do?)

Either way, it's definitely your index. But we need to know exactly what the symptoms are. And if a full re-index fixes it completely or changes the symptoms?

Matt May 30, 2014

It is the second case. The issues do not show up in queries, or when I just list all issues, however they do show when I search by their exact issue number.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2014

Ok, I'd expect a full reindex to fix the issues that are missing. Question again though - what happens with new issues in the new system?

Matt May 30, 2014

When I create new issues on the new system they behave just like they should, it's only the newer issues imported that are not appearing properly.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 31, 2014

Ok. Could you read the logs from when you did a full re-index? Any errors?

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 29, 2014

The preferred method of moving a JIRA instance is the built in export/import. Have you tried running an reindex? Is the old instance of JIRA up? If so, and the reindex doesn't work you can use the built in functions still

Suggest an answer