Later added person does not receive email notifications

Blommetje August 13, 2012

I have Jira installed on our own server with working email notification. I later added a user in Jira en added him to the project.

He however is the only one not getting any emails...

I added him to the Group Developers and Users.

I placed him in Project Roles for the project

Don't know where else to look.... anybody knows what to do?

Thnx!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Fixed.

Issue was: No other domain other then my work domain could receive email from Jira.

Issue can be fixed by:

1) Set up STMP correctly WITH (!) a username / password. This has to be a existing email adress, so create one. I made jira@companyname.com

2) Send a test email to both your work domain and some test domains (gmail, yahoo, hotmail)

3) Check the spamfilter.

4) Check the inbox of jira@companyname.com (During set up i recieved some delivery failure emails - they might clear things up)

5) Make sure your server is not blacklisted like mine was.

0 votes

Created an email account and connected OK. I can now send it to my gmail, but no longer to my work domain... checked the spam filter and it is not there. Jira's log says email is send OK.

A little bit closer, but still not there..

0 votes
Rickard Johansson [Tieto] August 13, 2012

Hello Maarten,

Have you looked at the notification scheme, By default it is only the people directly tied to an issue that gets notifications.

Best Regards,

Rickard Johansson

Yeah, I did. I also made some test cases and changed his email in my private email. Nothing came through... When i put the issue on my name (work email) I get an email, put on his name (my private email).. nothing.

Are his emal on the same domain as your work email? The Mailserver might be configures to only send allow mails through to a specific domain -- in which case you will have to configure it to allow JIRA to send mail outside of the workdomain.

-Rickard

No, he is from a third party company but his colleague is getting emails. Same domain, different name.

The only think I can think of atm would be that there might be an exception made per user rather than per domain.

-Rickard

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2012

Send an email to him from the JIRA mail settings screen, see the response, if you see it go out, I think the problem is likely his end, either a spam catcher is at work or there is a client side mailbox filter....

I been checking some more and found there were 170 email in the outgoing cue. Not so good... Also i tried sending test emails and to my office (domain) everything went fine, but other domains not. So i might be your suggestion of specifying to send outside of the domain...

The issue lies propably in the fact that I did not specify a username/password in the smtp setting screen. Jira says it connects ok, but outgoing mail might be problem...which is the case.

Think I got it figured out. The server is blacklisted. Spoke with IT and the was abused as a spammachine. Hopefully this will be fixed and all should be good!

Thanks for all the support!

Suggest an answer