Large stdout log file being created, Jira 5.2

shawn saunders November 17, 2013

the last two months this has happened. Our D: drive fills up and it is caused by jira creating a large stdout log file. "jira010312140432-stdout.2013-10-17.log" to be exact. This file is over 18GB right now. There was a second file "jira010312140432-stdout.2013-09-03.log" and it was 3GB. I was able to move that off the D: drive so the application would start working again, but I do not know what to do with the 18GB file. Is there something I should change in the logging setup? I was unable to find anything going through the admin protion of the application. Please help

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2013

The off-the-shelf logging settings for Jira are mostly the right ones to have.

The problem you are suffering is that the application doesn't have any housekeeping built into it. It's written in the expectation that different people will have different housekeeping requirements, and they should be handled by standard routines outside the application.

You should look into configuring log rotation and automatic removal. On a Unix based box, this is a doddle (logrotate is shipped with most and is good enough for most servers). However, I'm stuck on Windows - I've got a feeling it doesn't have much you can use for this.

shawn saunders November 24, 2013

we do have rolling logs. this log gets created every month and grows to fill the hard drive. My question is more about why is this log file growing to 20+ GIG? that seems a bit much for any log file

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 24, 2013

Your choices are to rotate more often, or start analysing what the messages are.

As an example, my last place was generating 20Gb in a shade over a day when I started. Log was rammed with errors which all evaporated when we removed a dodgy plugin. You need to read the log and work out what the messages are then establish why they're so verbal.

Like Michael Gaskin likes this

Suggest an answer