LDAP User Authetication fails

Athena Petridou [Nimaworks] October 30, 2017

Hey Guys, 

I have a delegated LDAP authentication in my user directories with anonymous bind (no username&password). Testing the connection everything seems fine, but when a user tries to login it fails with this error:

Caused by: javax.naming.NamingException: [LDAP: error code 1 - 000004DC: LdapErr: DSID-0C090752, comment: In order to perform this operation a successful bind must be completed on the connection., data 0, v2580]; remaining name 'OU=............

I tried to find a solution by Googling it but , everything on my configuration seems ok. Do you have any ideas?

Thank you

Athina

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 31, 2017

Hi Athina,

I would recommend checking out the KB on Common LDAP errors.

Given that we see an LDAP error code of 1, that tends to mean that the LDAP directory does not have the permission needed to perform that operation with that user account.   In my experience, it is unusual to try to use an anonymous user to connect to an LDAP instance.   It is not to say it is impossible, but in my experience you typically need to use an LDAP admin account to be able to connect Jira with an LDAP instance.  

I would recommend following the suggestion resolutions for that error code on that page and also trying to use an admin account with a username and password to see if you can get past this error that way.

Regards,
Andy

Athena Petridou [Nimaworks] October 31, 2017

Hey Andy! 

You are right. I used a user and his password in order to check if that was the problem and I guess I cannot use anonymous bind. 

Thanks a lot for your answer ! 

Athina

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 31, 2017

Awesome, glad to hear that helped!

Suggest an answer