LDAP Server settings username

Kevin Mote
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2012

I am trying to configure the LDAP connection. In 'Administration' > 'Users' > 'User Directories' , under 'Server Settings' I need to supply a Username and pwd. I'm not familiar with Active Directory servers, and the documentation doesn't make it clear: Who's username do I need to supply here?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2012

What you need to do is to request a service account. These are accounts used by applications/services, not people and their password does not expire.

They are always owned by one or two real people (primary and secondary) which can manage them, like changing passwords.

Usually the account name have a specific naming convention, the one I found in most companies was "svcacct_xxx" where xxx can be specified by you when you send the request to the IT department.

Do not forget to specify the reason why you request the account so they will just process the request faster.

You need two contains because someone else needs to be the owner if you leave the company.

1 vote
Carsten Beck-Astrup September 6, 2012

You need to make a request for a special account which is found in the AD aka. SER-JIRA or AD-JIRA-BIND. Remember to request that this special accounts password never expire.

The reason is that JIRA needs to "bind" to the AD with a user in order to make a lookup for the real user (even if the AD accepts anonymous access you need to bind - it is JIRA that requires it).

0 votes
David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 5, 2012
The username of the user that you're connecting to AD with. You could test it out with your own username/credentials but people normally have a specific user created for this purpose.
Kevin Mote
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 5, 2012

so does that mean it needs to be someone with permission to access the AD server? (I don't. I am the JIRA admin but the AD admin is someone else. Does it need to be his username?)

Suggest an answer